Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Why am I such a jerk?

As I was driving and doing my usual cursing at the driver who didn't adhere to the rules of the four way stop, I had to stop and wonder "Am I the jerk?" Does calling somebody else a jerk or an a--hole or a d--khead make me one? Or am I just making an objective observation? 

It all depends on your definition of a "jerk". If you say it's somebody who is inconsiderate and has a negative impact on another person, you can get away with more. By that definition, simply calling somebody a jerk does not make you one--as long as they can't hear you. If they didn't even notice you, it means that you didn't inconvenience them. And if they didn't hear you, you had no impact on them, negative or otherwise. If they did notice you and cut in front you any way, that makes them inconsiderate and your statement an objective statement of fact. Either way, you're not a jerk just for calling them one. 

But if you define a jerk as somebody who knowingly inconviences another person or somebody with the intent to harm another's ego, then you can't really ever call somebody a jerk without being one. When I call somebody a jerk on the road (and I am rarely so kind as to call them something so nice), a feeling of righteousness or vengance accompanies it. If they could hear me (without reprecussions to myself of course), I'd want them to know that I think they are inconsiderate and terrible drivers. And I want them to bow their heads in shame and whimper an apology. I don't mean them harm, but I would like them to acknowledge their mistakes and how they wronged me. So I think by the more stringent definition of "jerk", I'd be one. 

I think the solution here is for everybody to adhere to the rules of my road. Or I could be more realistic and stop caring so much about being minorly inconvenienced. But let's be honest, aren't people who are driving while on their cell phones dangerous jerks? 

1 comment:

Jonathan Alexander said...

Yeah, but there is a hierarchy of jerks, and you are, by far, the lesser.