Monday, January 18, 2010

Avatar? Why?

The Golden Globes selected Avatar as the Best Motion Picture in the Drama category. I didn’t see any of the other nominees, but if Avatar was the best of them, then Hollywood is producing some really mediocre stuff. Avatar isn't a bad movie at all, but it’s not worthy of any awards outside of technical ones--especially one for drama.

Don't get me wrong; I like Avatar. Anybody that asks me about it gets a positive review and a recommendation to see it in the theater in 3D. It won’t be the same on a DVD. I was even willing to see it a second time (but didn’t due to a change in plans).

The cinematography is pretty amazing and the 3D effect is pretty cool even if I can't say it’s necessary. The storyline is not original by any stretch, but hey, it’s James Cameron writing it. I didn’t even mind his plotline. I was sort of surprised it didn’t offend me as a biologist. Biologists, please feel free to comment. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised by the movie. On the other hand, there were many flaws that would immediately disqualify it from being best drama.

First of all, it was as much of a drama as Star Trek or The Bourne Supremacy. All three had some human emotion, but nobody was going to those movies to be moved to tears by awe inspiring acting. They were going for special effects and action. Star Trek and The Bourne Supremacy were both better movies than Avatar in my opinion—and they weren’t even in fancy 3D. Awarding Avatar a drama award makes as much sense as keeping Jay Leno at NBC. (That's zero sense, if you were confused on where I and the rest of America stand.)

Second, the dialogue in Avatar was just plain bad. I can't quote you any lines, but the first line of the movie sets the tone. I will tolerate plenty of bad lines in an action movie. Sometimes, the writer has to move the plot along or punctuate some long-awaited act of justice. But having lines like that automatically disqualifies you from the drama category. James Cameron, I know you wrote the script, but have a little humility and let a professional help you. You’d think you’d learn your lesson after having DiCaprio say, “I’m the king of the world!” Stop being a pompous blow hard, Cameron.

Third, while I don’t always agree with the Golden Globes selection of best drama, they’ve always done a better job than Avatar (except when they chose Titanic, of course). They have chosen the third Lord of the Rings and Gladiator, which could also be considered action movies, but those were much more deserving than Avatar. And does Avatar belong in the company of the following movies: Schindler’s List, Slumdog Millionaire, The English Patient, Platoon, The Godfather, Spartacus, and Ben Hur? I’d say, “Hell, no.” It doesn't even belong in the same category.

Usually, these posts are a sort of catharsis, but this one didn’t do that for me. I realized how much James Cameron thinks of himself. Maybe for good reason, given that he has made quite a number of fun movies: True Lies, Aliens, Terminator, and The Abyss. But I wouldn’t give any of those movies an award for best drama either. Avatar was a great movie; it just wasn’t a drama, let alone the best one.

3 comments:

Jonathan Alexander said...

Couldn't agree more. But, watch out come Oscar's night, cause I bet you it will win there too! Just be prepared. Well written post.

Joe Riconosciuto said...

I couldn't agree more. What a joke this year's awards were. I highly recommend Up In The Air if you're in the mood for a well written/directed dramatic movie. The depth of the characters and the complex situations are so real, and the topic so timely, that it leaves the audience both satisfied and frustrated. This is what a great drama does. When we left the theater from Avatar, we agreed that the visuals alone justified the ticket price - but we also thought that the visuals were the only high point of the movie. It was Ferngully, The Last Samurai, Dances With Wolves, and many others rolled in to one cliched mess of a plot.

For a 2.5 hour movie to spend no time whatsoever explaining what drives the characters is embarrasing. I would compare the writing to a superhero movie; they are the only movies in which nobody cares why the bad guy is so evil. It is easy to accept that "the riddler" is a one dimensional villian because he wears a ridiculous green suit and exists solely to counter Batman. In this movie, we are to accept that the US military is working for a private organizationa and is willing to kill indiscriminately just to get "unobtanium." I missed the opening 90 seconds, but I don't recall getting any explanation about WHY we want the stuff.

Also, I loved the Hangover. However, it was also not a good movie. I loved it in the same way I loved Old School, Happy Gilmore, and countless others. However, none of those exactly lands on the AFI greatest movies list, and neither does the Hangover.

Finally, Glee? Really? The show is a guilty pleasure for millions, and is very entertaining. Kudos to Fox for having the cojones to produce a high school musical as a running series, but it's not the best "comedy or musical" television series.

Ben Priestley said...

FernGully: The Last Rainforest = Animation Event of 1992, no tear duct was safe!

The Last Samuri = winner of Best Fire Stunt at the Taurus World Stunt Awards

Dances with Wolves = suspect...oh wait, no...Best Picture 1990.

James Cameron, you mad alchemist. You've blended together an unstoppable brew of Academy Gold!

Now if only Avatar can make it through the other 9(!) contenders this year...